The people and place names mentioned in John’s record (1904-1911) at Los Algarrobos and Cruz Grande, as well as the writings of others associated with Los Algarrobos, form a unique set.
We will be adding information, names, and maps as we add more material, e.g. the recollections of others. Any improvements and corrections are welcomed.
In addition, at the foot of this page we include:
The estancia is located 10km. south-west of present day Monte Buey, in the south-eastern corner of Córdoba province (see maps). On early property maps, it comprised the entire “suerte G 61”, the south-east corner of which touches the Rio Saladillo. Its first owners, the Barclay family (brothers Richard & Henry, sisters Millicent & Georgina), bought it from the provincial government in 1864. They protected their house against indian attacks with a moat — three indians died in attacks and are buried at the estancia. The moat can still be seen, as well some of the original monte (woods) of the native tree that gave the estancia its name: Los Algarrobos. The houses were razed in the late 1920’s.
In June of 1896, John E. Benitz (with Benitz Hermanos funds) bought it from the Barclays — 3¾ old sq. leagues, (10,125 has., 4.05 metric sq. leagues). John fenced the land, installed windmills (ensuring water), sowed alfalfa and crops, and enlarged the casco (headquarters), built a much larger house as well as a large barn, several sheds, and housing for staff and employees. Livestock on March 30, 1910, consisted of: 6,903 head of cattle (short-horn), 518 work horses & mules, 618 brood mares & colts, 3,483 sheep, 309 pigs. He also managed and/or held shares in neighboring properties, in particular locally to the immediate north: “La Minnesota” and “El Victoriano”.
Unfortunately, in 1916 John died in a flash flood at his summer home in Cruz Grande (Cba) and management of “Los Algarrobos” fell to his brother-in-law, Robert P. Mackintosh. In about 1928 its management was handed to John Benitz (John E. Benitz’s eldest son).
In the early 1930’s almost ¾ of the land was sold to meet debts; the remainder was divided equally between John E. Benitz’s four surviving children (650 has. each): Elsie (& Tommy Sympson) El Venado, Jo (& Howard Webster) La Gloria, John’s & Alfred’s shares were combined and included the original Los Algarrobos casco. Alfred having died in 1933, John managed the combined unit (see map of it’s fields above) until 1953 when it was sold and he retired to England.
Very flat with lighter soils than those of La California, Los Algarrobos was originally used for sheep and cattle breeding. Today it is dedicated to crops (in particular soy beans for which its soils are excellent) and cattle fattening (grass fed).
People are listed by their surnames then their first-name (if both known), followed by their titles (Cacique, Capt., Comandante, Don, Mr., Sr.). People may be listed twice for the diary entries don't always provide full names, in particular of those people the writers are familiar with, especially the workmen. Therefore, when searching for a person, search separately for both the person’s first-name and surname. Note: We have omitted the possesive “S” that John often added to names without the required apostrophe.
Places are listed by their proper name, followed by any preposition (El, La, Los, The) or feature qualifier unless that feature is specifically part of the name such as with the town of “Cañada de Gómez”: arroyo(creek), cañada(low-land), colonia(colony), estero(marsh), fuerte(fort), isleta(island), laguna(lake/lagoon), mar(sea), paso(crossing, ford), rio(river).
Ñ - we treat as an accented N, not as a separate letter (as it is in the Spanish alphabet). The tilde was usually omitted by English writers, as were most accent marks on vowels.
(1904 Feb) - Many entries are followed by one or more dates in brackets. These dates indicate the first month in which a name is found in John E. Benitz’s diary of the year shown.
Alfred – Alfred A. Bz. – 2nd gen.
Arg. – Argentina
BA / B.A. / Bs.As. – Buenos Aires
Bz - Benitz
Cba. – Córdoba (province)
Herman – Herman Bz – 2nd gen.
Johnnie – John E. Bz. – 2nd gen.
Josephine – Josephine Bz-Schrieber – 2nd gen.
LaCal. – Estancia “La California”
Mother - Josephine Kolmer-Bz - 1st gen.
SFé – Santa Fé (province)
TL – Estancia “Las Tres Lagunas”
W&J – William & Josephine Bz – 1st gen.
WBz – Wilhelm Bz – 1st gen.
Willie – William O. Bz. – 2nd gen.
|For more about the Benitz 2nd generation, see this family page.|
Prior to the founding of Monte Buey
( Translation of the history page from the Monte
In 1909, when the F.C.C.A. began laying the railroad line from Cruz Alta to Córdoba, today’s district of Monte Buey [Ox Woods] belonged politically and administratively to Saladillo, at that time the only sign of civilization in the region, apart from some scattered estancias [ranches].
In those days, the future urban area of Monte Buey belonged to estancia “Monte del Buey”, the property of the spouses don Federico Judson and doña Luisa Carpenter de Judson [Mr. Frederick E. Judson and Mrs. Luisa Judson (née Carpenter)], who donated it to the railroad in 1909 with the explicit condition that the town would take the name of the estancia. However, the original name was Woodgate by which the town was known until 1916. When the Cruz Alta to Córdoba line was put into public service on the 22nd of October, 1910, the railroad station was the sole building in existance.
Towards the end of the 19th century, the neighbouring lands of Monte Buey began to be sold for the purpose of establishing agricultural enterprises known as estancias [ranches]. Most of those who settled the area and established what are today the historic estancia cascos [ranch headquarters] were of English origin. Amongst many others, we can list “Los Algarrobos”, “La Maya”, “La Minesota”, “El Victoriano”, “Santo Domingo”, “San Ponciano”, etc.
Monte Buey’s first residents established themselves after 1910, don [Mr.] Enrique Chem, the brothers Gudiño, Pascual Ceballos and others. Faced with the advent of numerous colonies and residents, it was necessary to set up a local government. The first municipal commission was created in 1915, presided over by don Juan Benitz [Mr. John Benitz].
© Peter Benitz (Benitz Family)