Mistolar & Los Palmares
Calchaquí, Santa Fé
(ages 40-42 years old)
To download page images in PDF files, see below on this page.
To view a Transcription, select a YEAR, click:
(Source: S.B. Pryor)
This day-book begins with November 1, 1899, and ends with January 21, 1902.
This estancia day-book was kept by
Alfred, and in his absence by whoever he left in charge. Like
the other day-books, it is a record of their daily
activities, their hunts, and their visitors. And like the
others, they were not maintained particularly well (if at all) when Alfred was
During the decade of the 1890's, Benitz Hermanos expanded their operations to include more
camps. In May, 1892, Alfred signed a 5-year rental contract with the Santa Fé Land Co. for
“Los Palmares” (8 leagues), and obtained permission to fence it. In October, 1895, he proposed buying it, but
apparently was voted down by his brothers.
Instead, in June, 1896, Johnnie purchased “Los Algarrobos” (3¾ old leagues, or 10,125 has. metric)
near Monte Buey, Córdoba; and Alfred negociated a new 5-year rental contract for “Los Palmares”.
He also began renting other camps, one near Alejandra, and another east of La Guampita.
Background: The photo is of Alfred taken by Johnnie at “Los Palmares” on 24 April, 1902. (From Auntie Olga's album,
kindly lent to us by Susan Horner).
Written in English by Alfred, Herman, Donkin, & others, the day-book is full of Spanglish terms
as well as many other terms unfamiliar to us today.
To assist with names (people & places), maps, measures, currencies, and Spanglish terminology, we have created a set of
The reference pages open in a separate tab / window making them available in parallel to the diary
(i.e. this window).
Page images in PDF files:
Click the title of each to download the image file for the period:
- Covers front & back, fly-sheets (with notes), & inserts (file size: 4.8 mb.)
- November & December, 1899. (file size: 3.4 mb.)
- 1900 Q.1
- January, February, & March, 1900. (file size: 7.4 mb.)
- 1900 Q.2
- April, May, & June, 1900. (file size: 8.2 mb.)
- 1900 Q.3
- July, August, & September,, 1900. (file size: 5.4 mb.)
- 1900 Q.4
- October, November, & December (to 21st), 1900. (file size: 5.2 mb.)
- 1901 Q.1
- February (from 25th) & March, 1901. (file size: 3.9 mb.)
- 1901 Q.2
- April, May, & June, 1901. (file size: 8.6 mb.)
- 1901 Q.3
- July, August, & September, 1901. (file size: 10 mb.)
- 1901 Q.4
- October, November, & December, 1901. (file size: 10.1 mb.)
- January (to 21st), 1902. (file size: 3.0 mb.)
© Peter Benitz (Benitz Family)